DuplicityClean Read Edition
Military Romantic Suspense
Military Romantic Thriller
Clean Read Version
“[A] page-turner that fuses thriller and romance. Hinze has a knack for combining compelling realistic characterizations with suspense and a romantic plot line.”Publishers Weekly
From the USA Today Bestselling Author Vicki Hinze comes The Reunited Hearts, a romantic suspense series of standalone novels with couples in dangerous situations who reunite in atypical ways.
In Duplicity (originally written for the general market in 1999 and rewritten as a clean read romantic suspense in 2015), Captain Tracy Keener, a widow, is on the cusp of realizing her dream as a military attorney. But then she’s ordered to defend Captain Adam Burke, a special operations officer accused of abandoning his team and leaving them to die. Should she ruin her career to defend a man she is certain is guilty? Everyone knows he is guilty and defending him will cost Tracy her career, but the honchos give her no choice.
Only Adam swears he was framed, he’d acted under direct orders. He swears things that can’t possibly be true—or can they? Working together reveals an attraction that won’t quit and corruption at the highest levels—the sacrifice of an entire team. Impossible things!
Until Tracy defies a cease-and-desist order and proves the impossible fact. Her admiration for Adam grows as does her faith in him. Their relationship shifts and bonds between them grow stronger. Yet risking her life is easier for Tracy than risking her heart. She knows loss, and fears it most. Yet the discovery that her heart already has chosen comes too late—after they’re targeted for assassination. At least one of them, it seems, must pay the ultimate price to untangle this intricate web of Duplicity. But which one?
Books in the Hearts Reunited Series:
Her Perfect Life, #1
Mind Reader, #2
PRAISE for Vicki Hinze Novels:
Top Pick Award, Romantic Times
Golden Quill Award
Reviewer’s Choice Award Nominee, Best Suspense Novel of the Year, Romantic Times
Daphne Du Maurier Award Finalist, Best Mainstream Suspense Novel of the Year
“Written in the tradition of A Few Good Men, this highly suspenseful story of a solitary woman’s fight against an evil military conspiracy is one readers won’t want to put down.” – Library Journal
“Hinze’s suspense-filled novel is one that will keep the reader turning pages and trying to guess the next moves in a complex and intriguing plot.” -Raleigh News and Observer
“An exciting read. Guaranteed to keep you entertained.” — Rocky Mountain News
“[A] page-turner that fuses thriller and romance. Hinze has a knack for combining compelling realistic characterizations with suspense and a romantic plot line.” – Publisher’s Weekly
“Keeps the suspense going until the last page. Hinze’s books demand justice.”–The Bay Beacon
“Vintage Hinze. If you like well-plotted suspense with your romance, if you like clues and curves at a roller coaster pace, Duplicity is for you. It’s a page-turner, and don’t skip a page.”– The Courier Herald
“Hinze exploded on the scene with Shades of Gray and continues her meteoric rise with Duplicity. Finding a new niche in the romance genre takes rare courage and fortitude, but like Ms. Hinze’s heroines, she displays these admirable traits with the discovery of a category one can only call military romance. Clear an entire shelf for this author’s work, she doesn’t disappoint, making her a sure candidate for the bestseller’s list. Very Highly Recommended.” — BookBrowser
“A fast-paced novel with plenty of twists and turns and a lot of great insight into the world of the military…you will not be disappointed in this action-packed thriller.” – Interludes
“The theme is so strong that as each piece of the puzzle is uncovered, another gap or connection is revealed, and the characters quite frequently find themselves uncertain as to which is the right path. Duplicity weaves throughout. The result is a story of suspense, cleverly drawn.”— Booksquare.com
“Wow! A spellbinding book. A true page turner. The way [Hinze] pulls you into the action with the characters is so incredible. There are so many hurdles to overcome, so many emotions, feelings, and situations that leave you reeling, you won’t want to put it down until you see the story through to the very end. Bravo!”– Old Book Barn Gazette
- Golden Quill Award
- Reviewer’s Choice Award, Best Suspense Novel of the Year Nominee, Romantic Times
- Best Mainstream Suspense Novel of the Year Finalist, Daphne Du Maurier Award
- Top Pick Award – Romantic Times
QUESTIONS FOR YOUR READING GROUP
(Written by Sandie Scarpa et al)
- Captain Tracy Keener is dismayed to be assigned the case of Adam Burke, a man everyone has adjudged as guilty of grossly neglectful conduct, resulting in death of his squad. There are many “obviously guilty” individuals that are currently coming into our court system. Yet we, as a just nation, are obligated by our own principles to provide them with legal counsel and a defense. How do you think lawyers feel about such assignments? Would it be difficult for you as such a lawyer to accept such a case? Could you do it? Why? Because everyone has the right to a defense, or because he deserves benefit of doubt until guilt is proven?
- Janet states to Tracy that “you must learn to lie.” Do you think this is so? Are all children truthful, and experiences of life shape them to distort truth? Is there a distinction between an untruth born of the urge to deceive for gain, rather than a lie made for defense? Can someone tell themselves such lies as to make it appear the truth in their mind? If someone you are emotionally involved with tells you a lie, are you more likely to believe it without examination as to truth?
- Adam comments that training can make you function despite fear. Do you agree? What kind of job would include such training?
- The locket that Tracy wears is a talisman against her fears, and a reminder to stay on her course of honor. It also serves as a reminder of her guilt at losing her child and husband. Many of us have such items. Sometimes it is a toy or object from a safer time of childhood. Do you or someone you know have something like this? Does the meaning or potency of these talismans change over time?
- Escaping from locked rooms, jumping from building roofs, lurking in the shadows — it all sounds quite exciting, but in reality, most of this is dangerous and dirty work. What would motivate you to take on such obstacles?
- It can be easy to be idealistic, but would you think it difficult to see the larger picture of a mission when you personally are at physical risk? What would be the most difficult obstacle for you – heights, water, blood, darkness?
- Referring to question 3 above, could you set aside, overcome, or conquer such a fear with enough training?
- Tracy discovers that Adam Burke might not be guilty, but the case is closed by her superiors. She didn’t drop it, but pursued the truth. Why was that so important to her–especially considering it could cost her her own career?
- Adam took abuse, ridicule, was lied to and about, and yet he stuck to what he believed was right–forfeiting his freedom and, if necessary, his life. What character traits do you think one possesses to make them hold those values?
- Tracy and Adam work together to discover the truth–and discover that few things they believed true were true and many they didn’t believe proved true. Have you been in that situation? How did you resolve it? What did you risk to resolve it? Did it work out for you?
- Chemical weapons going missing is a terrifying prospect, and yet many think this is an issue not of interest to women. Is it of interest to you or the women in your life?
- What is the one thing you most remember about Duplicity that will stay with you for a long time?
Clean Read Edition Released in Digital in 2014 by Magnolia Leaf Press. General Market Edition and Audio released in print and digital in 2012, Magnolia Leaf Press. General Market Edition released by St. Martin’s Press in print in 1996. Links to the General Market 2012 and Audio version follow: History DUPLICITY Published by Magnolia Leaf Press ISBN: 978-1-939016-10-2 Copyright © 2014 by Vicki Hinze Cover Design by V. K. Hinze Duplicity, ©1999, Vicki K. Hinze Duplicity by Vicki Hinze was first published by St. Martin’s Press in April 1999 for the general market. In 2014, the story was rewritten and this new Clean Read Edition was published. Book Title: DUPLICITY
Publisher: Magnolia Leaf Press
Release Date: Aug 1, 2012
Trade Paperback ISBN: 978-1478335511
E-Book ISBN: 978-1-939016-00-3
Audio [Unabridged]: ISBN: B00A30A728